Friday, July 22, 2011


I have torqued the ball joint retaining ring and lube this side. the car is finished.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ball joint...

A lower ball joint was really loose. Before moving the car, I always look under it; after 4 days at the same spot, only 2 or so drops of oil.

I have noticed some LHM sipping from the rack; this should be addressed at some point in the future.

Started the ball joint job.

The toughest was to unbend the metal keeping the ring from turning. I had to rebuild some thread also; easy laying on the floor...

The ball joint was so loose that i could feel the play just by hand.

I have removed .5mm of metal on the spacer ring. I don't hear it anymore. Just have to disconnect the joint to final torque the ring, place the boot, lube and torque the nut. The car will be ready for delivery.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The water pump is in!

Nice 3 groove water pump...

The fender is back on, the rear sphere came yesterday and I am starting the car today. I'll bleed the brakes and start on the ball joint.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gear box cover tuning...

I took measurement of the cylinders before removing them.

The 1st cylinder and piston. The O ring is hard...

... and the piston slightly marked.

The O ring is deep and the pencil trick worked great again.

Ready to go.

2nd gear cylinder assembly after polishing.

Used this hose to replace the rubber pads (To prevent the cylinder to unscrew)

Setting the 1st and 2nd gears using a dial indicator.

The cylinders have to be screwed in further of about 1/3 of a turn to get a play of the gears of about .4 to .6 mm. I put .5 mm using the dial indicator.

Rebuilt the reverse cylinder; quick to remove anyway.

Ready to close to gear box.

Done except for the fluid (My supplier was out of it).

Friday, July 8, 2011

Water pump out, opened gear box...

The water pump is out; waiting for the new one.

I have opened the gearbox to investigate about the faulty first gear...

The O rings in the first and second cylinders were hard but I did not find LHM in the gearbox.

I have polished the cylinders...

... and installed the new O rings. They are deep and the pencil help a lot to install them without scratching the cylinders.

First gear cylinder is ready.

The second gear piston/cylinder assembly.

I suspect that the second cylinder might be too far in preventing the first gear to fully engage; I will check this next.

Thursday, July 7, 2011


The pedalo had a leak.

Strange looking O ring there...

I have changed the O rings in the 2 main cylinders and in the slider cylinder (below). Checked it at close to 2000 psi; no leak.

The pedalo is finished and ready to go back in.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Leaky pedalo and water pump video...

I'm looking for a leak on the left side. I had a feeling about the pedalo but since the right cylinder boot was bad, I've check the left side. It is fine.

These are the lines that are going to the gearbox (towards the right, view from underneath). One line is pretty worn due to vibration, but it is still OK for now.

So, I removed the cover of the pedalo and sure enough, the LHM is leaking from it. Tomorrow's task is to remove the pedalo to rebuild it; not fun.

Another issue: The water pump is on its way. I've heard some wobbling this morning and you can see on this video that the bushing is pretty worn out: